Wednesday 29 August 2012

Welcome to my Blog:)



Hi! A huge welcome to my first blog! I am a 3rd year Occupational Therapy student studying at the University of Kwa-Zulu Natal in Durban, South Africa. For 3 years I have been juggling married life and OT student life, which has been very challenging to say the least. This blog will serve as an insight into the world of Occupational Therapy through my reflections on all OT related aspects of my life. I will try my best to keep it fun by adding interesting pictures and quotes I may come across. I hope to change many perceptions and attitudes about OT, as well as provide a  good resource for other Occupational Therapists around the world.

I'm sure many of you, like the many people I meet, will be wondering what Occupational Therapy is all about. Simply put Occupational therapy is a health profession whose goal is to help people achieve independence, meaning and satisfaction in all aspects of their lives. OT's treat anyone with injury, illness, disability or psychological dysfunction. Helping  to achieve independence is the main aim of OT. Most humans need independence to boost their self confidence and self esteem. Losing the ability to cope independently in simple activities can be extremely demeaning especially those activities which have meaning to the client. Someone with a physical or psychiatric disability will have difficulty performing basic activities of daily life such as self care, domestic, leisure and/or work tasks. OT's will look to improve components causing the dysfunction(example; treating decreased muscle strength or poor attention and concentration), and if this is not achieved we may teach new methods, make adaptations to the environment or provide assistive devices to ensure the client achieves maximal independence in their activities of daily living. In OT each client is treated holistically. What roles the client plays in his/her life, what activities have meaning for them, and their physical and social environment plays a key role in determining the direction of treatment.

What many people don't realize is that OT's have just as important role to play as the other health professionals. The personal satisfaction that comes from helping someone achieve some independence ,even by something simple like learning to eat or dress independently, can be extremely fulfilling.  Providing purpose to their otherwise meaningless existence can be life changing. With all the stresses we experience as OT students as well as the negative perceptions of other professionals out there, being an OT can be a tough career in South Africa. However, I personally love my profession and I would not want to be anything else for the rest of my life.

Remember a doctor may save your life, but an OT will teach you how to live!

No comments:

Post a Comment