Monday 1 October 2012

"Assistive Devices"



 
 
Today I realized how much we as able bodied people rely on "assistive devices". As a student and a wife, I find it necessary to make use of various devices that make my life so much easier. For example the washing machine and dishwasher are devices that give me much more time to concentrate on OT. For life as a student on the go, I cannot do without my netbook. Smaller than your conventional laptop, it is easier and lighter to carry around, as well as convenient to pop out at any time. Even in the kitchen we cannot do without essentials like the Fryer, food processor, Kenwood chef, and various other beaters and grinders. My new kitchen dream is a pressure cooker- Curries and dolls done in 10 minutes tops! A housewives fantasy! It is now simply a life of convenience. If our ancestors saw us today, they would be horrified at our laziness to say the least! Traditional Indian women back in India, cooked squatting on the floor, beat, ground and washed everything by hand. They kept active right until they were elderly.  This learned helplessness through overreliance on assistive devices and modern technology, has severely disabled us. And then we wonder how did they live longer and healthier lives than us??


2 comments:

  1. This is so true!we dont even realize how much we've come to rely on these machines around us!when there is no electricity i feel like crying!!!lol.i can't function without my "modern" kitchen equipment!!!cutting onions by hand is a modern culinary nightmare!lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never thought of it in that way before hehe... That just reinforces how almost anything is adaptable...

    ReplyDelete