Friday 19 October 2012

"Blog it"

My reflections on my first ever blog

 
So at the start of the semester when we were asked to create a blog to share our experiences, I must admit I was slightly apprehensive. Not that I hadn't used social media before, but the idea of pouring out my inner most thoughts and feelings on a public platform was not exactly attractive to me! Nevertheless I decided to give it a try, and… wow! I'm addicted to blogging! I'm constantly thinking about new and interesting blog posts, and when anything significant occurs my first thought is, " I'm so blogging that!'. Frankly, I am a very talkative person and I feel as though countless ideas and thoughts are constantly running through my head that I just have to get out. And I've now found the perfect outlet.. Blog it!

 
Although I started off doing this as purely an assignment, its become much more than that to me. A few weeks in, I realized that my blog could be the perfect platform for me to be that 'advocate' for OT. Basically teaching and showing others what we do and ultimately helping them understand why OT plays such an important role in our health care system.  Its true, we all want to change the world. But we have to start small, and these are my baby steps to achieving that bigger picture. I started with my close family and friends, urging them to read my blog and share their views. And I must say the response has been phenomenal for me. I never expected so many of them to actually read all of my ramblings, and actively interact with the text. I could see from so many of the comments that many of them were grasping the whole concept of OT, understanding the value of OT, and sharing my own personal opinions. Even in my personal conversations with family and friends I received a great response, and I was actually having in depth OT conversations with them beyond  the usual 'what is OT?'. I may have not changed the world. But I certainly feel as though I've changed a few perceptions out there, and in this country that’s what we need. We need a change in mind-set. We need others to recognize our true potential. Hopefully my blog can be a starting point for me to create that awareness.
 
In closing I'd like to thank every one of you who have read and contributed to my blog. Your positivity has uplifted me many times in the past few weeks, and it is much appreciated.  The incredible responses have really just added to my passion for OT, and urged me to continue blogging about my experiences and reflections! So don’t forget to watch this space:)

No comments:

Post a Comment